Microneedle facial rollers or Derma rollers is a skin repair procedure of employing a mini wheel instrument that is covered with many tiny needles that gently prick the skin area. This is a DIY variation of popular in-clinic treatment of micro-needling that is in more news now due to ongoing lockdowns due to coronavirus treatment. They claim to clear the acne scars, fading fine lines, and evening out skin tones with proper usage. It is a handheld device that is much cheaper and claimed to provide results. But you need to verify if the results and benefits the same as the traditional micro-needling carried out at reliable aesthetic centers like Indulge Aesthetics Medspa.
What is a derma roller?
A Microneedle facial roller resembles and functions like a paint roller but it has a lot of spikes on it. It is done with a cylindrical end having small microneedles around the boundaries. These microneedles come in various lengths, generally between 0.2mm and 1.00mm for different stages of intensity. This roller is termed as an at-home version of micro-needling treatment but results may vary. The major concept behind this is to develop controlled injuries to the skin in the form of micro punctures that will stimulate the body to boost collagen and elastin production.
How to use it?
Before performing Microneedle facial rollers, you must initially clean the face properly to avoid any infection from the bacteria. Then a toner or essence is applied to the skin to keep it soft and ready. Next, the microneedle facial roller is worked gently in a systematic and horizontal method from the center, outwards towards both sides of the face. The procedure must be beginning from the forehead and must go towards the chin but being careful not to touch the eye area.
Do these micro-needling facial rollers or derma rollers work?
Microneedle facial rollers claim to address many issues, but major ones are for enhancing pigmentation problems and improving the skin surface. They also claim to be useful in improving acne scars, fine lines, and wrinkles. But according to research, all these problems get a clear solution only with professional micro-needling that employs longer needles than the derma rollers. The professional micro-needling has proven results in increasing the production of elastin and collagen, which makes skin firmer. It has shown that it can erase fine lines and wrinkles efficiently and also prevent uneven pigmentation problems. They can also be useful in penetrating high-tech ingredients like stem cells and epidermal growth factors. The only best advantage is that derma rollers can allow skincare products to reach the skin deeper and produce effective results.
What are the dangers of using derma rollers?
- Even though many derma roller companies claim to cause no harm to their usage, there are certain key points to consider. Individuals with sensitive skin issues like psoriasis, eczema, and acne must avoid this completely. It must not be used along with retinol products as using both the products together may be harmful to the skin. You must also stay away from using it if you have any sunburn issues.
- Many skin specialists advise staying away from at-home derma rollers since the needles are not long enough to penetrate properly into the skin. Hence it would just result in damaging the face without any effective results. As the rollers at home have chances of being not sterilized properly, they can inject dangerous bacteria’s leading to infections and breakouts. It may also cause skin issues like eczema (itchy inflammations), rosacea (a condition that leads to skin redness and bumps), and melasma (leading to brown patches on the skin). You will have the risk of causing scars on the face without getting any benefits.
- There is also one more danger of using these DIY home products without proper knowledge. The rolling needles could break easily leading to tiny broken fragments in the skin which could be dangerous.
Due to all these risks, people usually consider to wait for some period and visit only reliable skincare centers to perform professional micro-needling procedures.
Advantages of professional micro-needling:
- Professional micro-needling is very effective when performed by a trusted practitioner. They ensure the treatment is less painful by applying topical anesthetic on the area to be treated. The number of treatment sessions dependent on the severity of the issues. Generally, individuals will need three to six treatments to get maximum benefits.
- The tools used will be sterile and the needles are long enough to penetrate for around +2mm. This will develop required controlled damage to stimulate the body and start collagen production. It is safer than all advanced procedures when done in hygienic environments. Generally, you will experience mild erythema for the first few hours to two days.
- Skin specialists will analyze the skin and perform any required adjustments during the procedure. This will make sure that there will be no damage or injury to the skin. If you are looking to eliminate fine lines, wrinkles, uneven pigmentation, or acne/scar issues it is better to visit a trusted skin specialist center. As the needles go deeper into the skin, results are more likely to be visible. They cause more ideal tiny injuries that are perpendicular to the surface of the skin. But derma rollers create large and few holes as the needles will enter at an angle to the skin surface which could be more damaging to the skin.
The Bottom line:
Even though derma rollers claim to provide the same results as professional micro-needling, it is advised to carry these procedures at a professional center. You will not have any doubts or worries about the effects on skin and issues with these procedures at a trusted aesthetic center like Indulge Aesthetic Med Spa. With more than a decade of experience and developments in medical research, we have the finest equipment’s in the category. Our goal is to give our clients long-term results and to aid with holistic approaches across a wide range of services.